Tuesday, December 3, 2013

DIY Spongebob Costumes

Halloween costume always cost so much for such generic ideas. This year, I've decided to make a costume to not only save money but have something unique. After talking with my friend, we decided to be spongebob, barnacle boy, and mermaid man for Halloween. I immediately went to Google and searched all over for DIY spongebob character costumes. I found some finished outfits but none where they said how they made their costumes. 

After finding a picture of mermaid man and barnacle boy. my friend and I went to Wal-Mart to start getting everything we needed. We bought plain black shorts, I bought a blue scarf for barnacle boy, and my friend bought pink slippers for mermaid man. We then headed to Target and found a yellow t-shirt for spongebob. We went to a little boutique and picked up orange and red long sleeved shirts. I bought the rubber gloves at the grocery store in green and blue and used yellow duck tape over a belt I already owned to make the belt the duo wears. The last stop was the party supply store where we found the green tights, purple face paint, spongebob mask and the sailor hat. I already had the fake glasses bought those are easily found at any store now a days. 

To create the belt, I printed off an M and sea shell on colored card stock. I cut it our and glued it to a piece of cardboard to keep it study. I then glued them to the belts and voila! The seashell bra was created the same exact way on mermaid man. In order for me to create my flippers, I cut the blue scarf from Wal-Mart and hot glued it onto a pair of tall boots I already owned. I used hot glue because I was able to peel it off the boots once I was done. I created the flipper base with card stock and cardboard and attached a piece of elastic( I used a hair tie) so it would wrap around the base of my shoe.

Creating the spongebob costume was pretty easy. We found a yellow t-shirt at Target for $4.00. We then bought black paint and used a foam drink holder and the bottom of a little birdhouse found in the dollar 'section as the stamps. It really worked out because they weren't perfect circles which really made it look like sponge. Make sure to keep cardboard in between so the paint doesn't bleed through. The rest of the costume was khaki shorts, tall white socks, dress shoes, a white polo underneath, and a red tie.


Here's the finished Halloween costume for all of us! With using things we already owned and incorporating creative items each costume costed only $15.00!

No comments:

Post a Comment